The Rocket Review

The Student News Site of Lowellville High School

The Rocket Review

The Rocket Review

National Honor Society of Lowellville High School

“National Honor Society is the oldest, largest, and most prestigious student program,” according to NHS Advisor Mrs. Reamer. As stated by their website, students in this program must show excellence, service, leadership, and a thirst for accomplishment.
At Lowellville High School, students in 11th and 12th grade can apply to join the NHS Chapter. There are several requirements that Lowellville students must meet to qualify for the application process. Some of these include a cumulative GPA of 3.4, 30 service hours, leadership  (being an active member in an organization, community, or church, or a sport), and a letter or endorsement from the sponsor of that leadership role. In addition to this, faculty members will rate each student in the students must receive an average vote of 3.5 out of 5 points.
At Lowellville, the NHS members participate in several activities and events throughout the year. Every Friday, or during a special event or holiday, members volunteer to deliver coffee and cookies to all staff members. This is courtesy of the National Honor Society advisor and math teacher, Mrs. Reamer. This originated from Teacher Appreciation Week. After she first launched the coffee cart the staff loved it, so it became tradition. The members host the Lowellville Food Drive as well as the Mitten Drive for City Rescue Mission, the Giving Tree for the Salvation Army, an easter egg hunt for the elementary students, and Valentine’s cards for community members living in The Lowellville Park Apartments.
         On April 12th, the Lowellville High School’s National Honor Society inducted their new members. These members include: Sophia Alfano, Makenna Beeson, Miranda Caruso, Gianna Clement, Joslyn Delsignore, Nick Donatelli, Dominic Encarnacion, Kyle England, Donovan Gomez, Morgan Lewis, Bobby Loftus, Alana Lopez, Mia Mangine, Kenzie McCormick, Geno Perry, Hadassah Rivera, Aryana Romano, Elizabeth Rossi, and Sam Sargent. These students have shown exceptional leadership, academics, character, and service.
Along with welcoming the new members, the assembly focused on the core aspects and standards of the program. NHS President, Sophia Yon, spoke about leadership, stating, “It is more than a position or title.” She explained how people who are leaders lead by example.
     Vice President, Natalie Parry, touched on scholarship, “It is a life-long dedication for learning.” She discussed how scholarship extends beyond the four walls of the classroom.
     Sophia Yon is a strong advocate for this program. She states, “It is an honor to be a part of this program and it can really bring out the best in people. It is perfect for those who want to give back to their community and others around them.” She enjoys being a part of a program that represents and reflects her core beliefs and values. She also enjoys being able to help others and participate in the various events held by NHS, such as filling Easter eggs and decorating the elementary classrooms for Easter.
Mrs. Reamer, the NHS advisor for the past nine years, talked about the responsibilities and accomplishments of NHS members.  “It is a nationally recognized, huge resume builder for colleges and scholarships,” she said.  She thinks that it’s a nice group to be a part of because they do lots of activities to support and provide service in the school and community.
Junior, Hadassah Rivera is one of the new NHS inductees. She is very excited to be a part of the program, “I knew it would be a great way to get more involved with our school and the community around us.” She is thrilled to be an active member and to lead others by example.
Thank you to Mrs. Reamer and the members of Lowellville’s National Honors Society for all they have done and will continue to do for the school and community. We appreciate the program and the staff and students involved. The media staff would like to congratulate our school’s newest NHS members!