The Rocket Review

The Student News Site of Lowellville High School

The Rocket Review

The Rocket Review

Formula One

Formula+One

Formula One, or F1, started in 1950 and is one of the most popular sports in the world. Twenty of the best racers in F1 in the world compete in 24 races to win the Formula One Championship. Before even racing in Formula One, you have to compete in karting and then make your way up to F4, then F3, and then in F2 you have to have 40 super licenses to race in F1, and then once you have the requirements you can race in F1. In F1 racing there are 10 teams including Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, Aston Martin, Visa Cash App RB, Haas, Williams, Kick Sauber, and Alpine. Throughout the years, many teams have joined and left F1. Ferrari is the longest-active team, the team has raced since 1950 to the present (2024), and the second longest-active team is McLaren which started in 1966. There have been 1,106 world championship events over 75 seasons. 

In total, 77 circuits have hosted a Grand Prix. Silverstone was the very first circuit to host an F1 World Championship in 1950. Autodromo Nazionale Di Monza is the oldest track out of all the circuits used for the F1 season; it turned 100 years old last year and hosts races every year. One of the most popular tracks is Circuit de Monaco. Monaco is one of the toughest tracks because it is very narrow. The drivers are wheel-to-wheel on the track, and because the track is narrow it’s hard to. This is one of the most anticipated races of the year. Fans even have the opportunity to watch the events from their yachts that are docked in a harbor alongside the track.

The drivers for this season are Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez (Red Bull), Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz (Ferrari), Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri (McLaren), Fernando Alonso and Lance Stroll (Aston Martin), Danial Richardo and Yuki Tsunoda (Visa Cash App RB), Nico Hulkenberg and Kevin Magnussen (Haas), Alexander Alborn and Logan Sargeant (Williams), Zhou Guanyu and Valtteri Bottas (Kick Sauber), Esteban Ocon and Pierre Gasley (Alpine). As of now the top three teams with the most points are Red Bull with 195, Ferrari with 151, and Mcleran with 96.  The top three drivers this season are Max Verstappen with 110 points, Sergio Perez with 85 points, and Charles Leclerc with 76 points. It’s still very early in the season so far there have only been five races, there are still 18 more races. Anything can happen with drivers deciding if they are going to stick with the same team or change for the next season and the race leaders today can easily go to the bottom of the standings. 

Kyle England is a huge motorsports fan. He first watched NASCAR in 2016 and then a friend of his convinced him to watch an F1 race which at the time was the 2021 Bahrain Grand Prix, Kyle said, “It was one of the best and most interesting races I’ve ever watched. Ever since that race, I’ve been hooked.” Kyle loves racing so much he became interested in  go-karting. Before Kyle got his own kart he participated in  rental sessions, eventually his dad bought him a kart and ever since then he has raced four full seasons.