The Rocket Review

The Student News Site of Lowellville High School

The Rocket Review

The Rocket Review

Taylor Swift vs. the NFL

Taylor Swift vs. the NFL

Currently, one of the most popular music artists in the world is Taylor Swift. In the NFL’s off season she and Kansas City Chiefs’ tight end,Travis Kelce, were seen out together which sparked dating rumors. At the beginning of the NFL season, Swift started going to Kelce’s games and  wore apparel with Kelce’s number on it, causing fans to question if they were dating.  

When Swift first began appearing at the games, people were fine with it, but after a while  football fans became tired of seeing her shown on camera anytime Kelce made a play. The press and Swift fans began commenting every time Swift was present in the stands and Swifties suddenly had an interest in football. Swift’s fans were saying that Travis is famous now because of Taylor, which made some football fans upset.  The playoffs were important to many NFL fans, but the presence of Taylor Swift, her fans, and the press began to annoy the fans. 

The Chiefs won the first two rounds of playoffs against the Miami Dolphins and the Buffalo Bills. They played in the AFC championship game against the Baltimore Ravens. There was a lot of anticipation for this game. Some NFL fans decided to support the Ravens because they did not want the Chiefs and Taylor to go to the Super Bowl.  

I asked AJ Boehlke about his thoughts on Taylor being at the games and he said, “I really don’t care that she’s there. She’s trying to support her boyfriend.” 

During our Sweethearts Spirit Week, Natalie Parry wore a sweatshirt saying, “Taylor’s Version.”  When asked  if she actually likes football or if she now likes football only because of Taylor she said, “No I actually like football. I was born into football because my dad is a football coach and my family loves football. My favorite team is the Browns.”

As the Super Bowl approached, fans placed bets on how many times Taylor Swift would appear on camera during the game. Although her presence had become tiresome to many football fans, it was very limited during the Super Bowl, and many were relieved to watch the game without frequent shots of her. Overall, there were mixed opinions about Taylor’s impact during the NFL season. While some fans are hoping she will make an appearance during the 2024 NFL season, others are hoping that she will not.