The Rocket Review

The Student News Site of Lowellville High School

The Rocket Review

The Rocket Review

The Norovirus: The Wintry Stomach Flu

It appears that the Norovirus is making its rounds around the United States again this winter, especially in the Northeast. The Norovirus is a virus that affects the gastrointestinal system of the body, causing the stomach and intestinal lining to become inflamed.  This year, though, it’s hitting the US harder than usual, for no real reason.  According to the Mayo Clinic, some signs of this virus include nausea, vomiting, muscle pain, and a fever. If you have any of these symptoms, waiting it out is the only option, as the virus cannot be affected by antibiotics.

Last year, from August 1st to February 12th, there were 521 outbreaks reported, whereas this year in the same time frame, there were 759, reported by Today’s website. Areas such as Philadelphia have experienced a harsh wave of the virus this year, with many neighboring major cities reporting similar outbreaks. The “wave” is predicted to move west and is already rearing its ugly head in California at high levels. 

Here at Lowellville, we are currently dealing with our own “mini-outbreak.”

Many elementary students have been out the past few weeks with Norovirus-like symptoms. A couple of cases were reported in the high school wing earlier this month. It is winter, which means it’s cold and flu season. Remember to be smart, wash your hands, and avoid anyone who may have Norovirus or any other type of illness.