The Rocket Review

The Student News Site of Lowellville High School

The Rocket Review

The Rocket Review

New Year’s Resolutions

Do you participate in New Year’s resolutions? Do you know the origin of New Year’s resolutions? It’s that time of year and many Lowellville students are already coming up with their resolutions to try and stick with throughout the 2024 year. 

The Ancient Babylonians are said to have started resolutions some 4,000 years ago, but the version we have come to know today started in the late 17th century. Two hundred  years ago many people purposefully broke their resolutions so that they could have an excuse to behave in a bad way. Today, some people have trouble keeping their resolutions because they struggle to plan how they will achieve their goals. 

Several students and staff members at Lowellville participate in making resolutions. Cheyenne Bott said that she would like to practice driving more so she can get her license.  A popular answer among students and staff is to either workout more or to stay in good shape throughout the year. Mrs. Kerpsack, one of the media advisors, says that she would like to volunteer more and try to be more patient. Mr. Dougherty also plans to try and be more patient with the eighth grade. Nathan Yon, a sophomore, is going to try and limit the amount of time he spends on his phone. 

Cole Wildes and Kasen Smith had some more diverse answers, which were towards sports. Cole’s goal is to get better at sports in general and Kasen’s is to shoot under par in golf. When asked, many people are slow to answer whether or not they will stick with their resolution. According to ABC News, around an estimated 80% of people will fail by mid-February and another 11% by the end of the year. Will you be the ten percent to complete their New Year’s Resolution?