The Rocket Review

The Student News Site of Lowellville High School

The Rocket Review

The Rocket Review

The NFL Regular Season Recap

This NFL season was very eventful. A famous singer started dating an NFL star and some fans were getting tired of seeing her highlighted during the games.  An NFL record was broken for the highest paid player, but they ended up having season ending injury. Also, the record for the most receiving yards by a rookie was broken this year. One team traded their  QB, but the new one got injured on the first play of the game. They were unable to return and failed to meet the new team’s expectations. Another team had the number one pick and drafted a promising QB, but had the worst record out of all the teams finishing 2-15. Overall, it has been a very eventful season.

First, let’s talk about the Carolina Panthers. They had the number one pick in the NFL draft and picked Bryce Young from Alabama. There was a lot of hype for this player and people thought he would be good right off the bat, but the team did not end up doing well.   The Panthers had no players set around Bryce’s type of playing style and he had a very bad rookie season. The team put so much hope in him and he did not meet expectations at all. They had no set plan for him and the team did poorly. The Panthers finished the season 2-15. 

Next, are the Houston Texans, who had the second pick in the NFL draft. They drafted CJ Stroud coming from Ohio State. Unlike Bryce and the Panthers, the Texans were very good and made it to the playoffs. The Texans had a game plan for CJ and had the right players for him and that was why he was so successful and how the Texans were able to make it to the playoffs. CJ Stroud won rookie of the year. 

Every year the Cleveland Browns’ fans get their hopes up for a winning season.  This team had so many problems with the QB position they had 4 different QBs. First Deshuan Watson, then P.J. Walker, next Dorian Thomas Ribison, and finally Joe Flacco. Before Joe Flacco played on the Browns he played for the Ravens, Broncos, and the Jets. He won a Super Bowl with the Ravens in 2019. Flacco lost the starting quarterback job to Laamar Jackson, so he went to the Broncos where he was not successful.  Then, he  went to the Jets and lost the starting position to Zak Wilson. Everybody forgot about him until this season when he started for the Browns in Week 13 against the Los Angeles Rams and it went up from there helping the team go to the playoffs,but lost to the Texans in the wildcard round.

The Detroit Lions are another team similar to the Cleveland Browns, they have loyal fans, but never a very successful season. Neither the Browns or the Lions have ever made it to a Super Bowl Championship. In 2021, the Lions hired Dan Campbell and traded for QB Jared Goff and finished 3-13. This season they are playing in the NFC Championship game. This is the  first time in 32 years the Lions have won a playoff game and they were  one win away from making the Super Bowl. 

The Cincinnati Bengals signed their star QB Joe Burrow to a record breaking deal of 275 million dollars for five years. He had a calf injury during practice which caused him not to   play at the level he was before.During Week 5  he looked like himself again. Burrow was throwing the ball really well and moving with no issues. In Week 10 it all went down hill during a play. Joe threw the ball, which resulted in a touchdown. Unfortunately,  hurt his wrist and had to leave the game. He had to have surgery which ended his season early.  The team missed the playoffs finishing the season with a record of 9-8.

Finally, the Kansas City Chiefs. The famous singer Taylor Swift started dating star tight end Travis Kelce. At first people thought this was cool until they started showing her, instead of the game. Many  football fans were upset about this. Then there were debates saying Taylor made Travis famous and then some people say the opposite. The Chiefs made it to the Super Bowl and are playing the  San Francisco 49ers.