The Rocket Review

The Student News Site of Lowellville High School

The Rocket Review

The Rocket Review

Super Bowl 58

Super Bowl 58

On February 11, 2024  the San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs played in  Super Bowl 58. Both teams had to  overcome many challenges throughout the season and worked very hard to make it to the grand stage.  Some people thought neither team would make it that far because of their performance  during the regular season. The Chiefs lead the league in most drops. The Chiefs were also very disliked because Taylor Swift was at the games and people got tired of the Chiefs. The Chiefs won an important playoff  game against the number one seed Ravens, many people were disappointed and frustrated that the Chiefs won. The 49ers were a very well rounded talented team. Brock Purdy who was drafted last in the 2022 draft made it carry the team to the playoffs for the second year in a row. This time making it further than last year. The 49ers played the Lions in the NFC championship game and were losing 24-7 at halftime and then came back and won 34-31.

The  49ers stats from the Super Bowl and the record they set in the beginning of the game changed in the second half. . Brock Purdy threw for 255 yards and one touchdown There was also a non QB, Juan Jennings,  who threw a touchdown. Juan Jennings threw a 21 yard touchdown pass to Christain Mccaffery for the first touchdown pass of the game. Christian Mccaffery had 22 carries for 80 rushing yards and one  touchdown. Jake Moody set a record for the longest kick in Super Bowl history, a 55 yard kick. 

Now the Chiefs. Patrick Mahomes threw for 333 yards and 2 touchdowns and also had the most rushing yards with 66 yards. Travis Kelce had 93 receiving yards, the most out of both teams. There was a moment where Travis was yelling at his head coach Andy Reid about not getting the ball in the first half. Then after the game apologized saying, “I can’t get that fired up to the point where bumping Coach and it’s getting him off balance.” 

Lots of people were making bets of how many times Taylor Swift was going to be shown, which was a total of six.  She was also joined by popular rapper Ice Spice. 

Andy Reid responded by saying, “The part I love is that he loves to play the game, and wants to help out his team.” 

In the second half Harrison Butker broke the record for the longest field goal in a Super Bowl, kicking it 57 yards. The Chiefs  ended up winning the game in overtime 25-22. Patrick Mahomes now has three Super Bowl rings and  Patrick won
Super Bowl MVP making it his third in his career.