The Rocket Review

The Student News Site of Lowellville High School

The Rocket Review

The Rocket Review

Spring Break: Lowellville’s Traditions and Fun Activities

With springtime comes Easter. At Lowellville High School, many activities occur during this time of the year to prepare students for Easter and Spring. Activities such as Literacy Day, the Junior High Dance, candy and flower sales, and the Easter Bunny visiting Lowellville take place to keep students busy.

Literacy Day, which took place on March 21st, was hosted by the PTO. Literacy Day is designed as an opportunity for younger students to enhance their creative writing abilities. To start the day, a mime came to the school to perform for the elementary students. After his performance, students in grades K-6 returned to their classroom to write skits for the mime to perform. Towards the end of the day, the students returned to the gymnasium and watched as the mime acted out these skits. They were quite funny! 

A newer addition to the springtime roster is the Junior High Dance sponsored by the Student Council. It took place at the school on March 22nd and gave the junior high students a night to hang out with their friends. After the dance, many attendees went to Raising Canes to enjoy chicken and fries. Jayden Coon (8th) and Malena Sturm (7th), both highlighted their favorite parts of the night. Both Jayden and Malena agreed “the Mikey Ward and Logan Gresinski dance off” was the best part of the night.  Jayden Coon also said, “dancing with Steven [Yon],” was a fun moment.

When the Easter Bunny came to visit  elementary students  on March  25th, she carried a special egg basket. The student who picked the “special egg” from the basket was given a prize—a large Squishmallow and loads of candy! The lucky student was sixth grader, Santino Alfano.  During this time, students took class pictures with the Easter Bunny, ate snacks, watched movies, and enjoyed downtime before the break. 

Natalie Parry, a senior at Lowellville High School, described what she does the night before and on the day of Easter. “The night before, we decorate eggs. Then, when we go to sleep, my parents hide the eggs. We wake up and hunt for the eggs the next morning, and then we eat eggs for breakfast.” 

Mrs. DeLuca, an English teacher and one of the Media Advisors, will celebrate Orthodox  Easter in May. “On Friday, we decorate eggs, and on Saturday morning, I make all the food for the following day. Saturday night, we bring the food to  church to be blessed before we eat it on Sunday.” 

Spring break is a fun and exciting time that signals the end of the school year. Many students are planning on celebrating the holiday, spending time with family and friends, and even going on vacation.  Have a great spring break!